For Explore Your Archive Week 2019 we are celebrating the Year of Discovery. We’ve got the Aberystwyth Bandstand for the whole week (again!) and we’ll have all sorts of things going on. Come and visit, see the displays, listen to a talk, book onto an art workshop, rediscover forgotten folk songs with Owen Shiers… there is something for everyone, and it’s all FREE!
Make sure you check this page regularly for additions and revisions.
We will be open from 10.00 – 5.30 every day except as otherwise indicated below. There will be lots of things to see and experience:
- Displays of beautiful and interesting things from the Ceredigion Archives collections.
- A display of some special collections curated by Aber Uni postgrads studying Archive Administration.
- A chance to get your own FREE archive box for your family’s document treasures.
- A ‘Victorian’ photo-booth; dress up in the clothes (kindly loaned by Ceredigion Museum) and strike a suitable pose in front of our specially painted backdrop!
- Badge-making for all ages
- Comfy Corner: relax and watch a slide show of images from our collections, share your recollections with us!
- Browse a selection of Ceredigion Archives books, greetings cards and preservation items for sale at modest prices
- Actual live archivists to talk to!
- Lots of other talks and activities – see timetable below, follow the links to find out more and to book your tickets!
Monday 25 November
Doors open at 2 pm
Open all afternoon – come and see our displays, have a cup or tea and chat to us about Exploring Archives!
18.00 – 20.00 Launch event (invitation only)
Tuesday 26 November
11 am A Life on the Ocean Wave – Captain Roberts and the Oronsay: talk by Helen Palmer, County Archivist
Lunchtime: A Short Talk (details TBC)
16.30 – 17.30 Children’s activity: Christmas Card & Decoration Making with Alison Hincks. Free but only 15 places available. Click here to find out more and book a place!
Wednesday 27 November
11.00 talk by Ania Skarżyńska, Senior Archivist
Lunchtime: talk by Dr. Lucy Smith on Ivor T. James, a Japanese POW from Aberystwyth
15.00 The Llantood Letters: Letters home in the time of Napoleon: talk by Helen Palmer, County Archivist
5.30-6.30 Adults’ Activity: Looking after your Archives: Practical steps to preserve documents
11.00 David Williams writes home: a sailor’s correspondence (yn Gymraeg): Talk by Mair Humphreys, Archivist and Records Manager
Lunchtime: A Talk – TBC
15.00 talk by Ania Skarżyńska, Senior Archivist
Friday 29 November
11.00 ‘My own battered suitcase’: records of crime and punishment: talk by Richard Ireland, legal historian
Lunchtime: A Talk – TBC
15.00 Florrie Hamer, the collection of a lifetime: talk by Helen Palmer, County Archivist
Saturday 30 November
10.00 – 15.00 – Archives Roadshow: bring in your family treasures and we can admire and advise! Collect your own FREE archival quality box to keep your archive safe!
15.30 – 16.30 Children’s activity: Christmas Card & Decoration Making with Alison Hincks. Free but only 15 places available. Click here to find out more and book a ticket!
Please note that there are limited places for some of the events; follow the links to book a ticket.