For Explore Your Archive Week 2018 we are celebrating the Year of the Sea. We’ve got the Aberystwyth Bandstand for the whole week and we’ll have all sorts of things going on. Come and visit, see the displays, listen to a talk, go for a guided walk, book onto an art workshop, enjoy sea shanties with The Hittites… there is something for everyone, and it’s all FREE!
Make sure you check this page regularly for additions and revisions.
We will be open from 10.00 – 5.30 every day except as otherwise indicated below. There will be lots of things to see and experience:
- Displays about Ceredigion’s links with the sea
- A display of panels on our maritime heritage curated by Aber Uni postgrads studying Archive Administration
- A maritime-themed ‘Victorian’ photo-booth; dress up in the clothes (kindly loaned by Ceredigion Museum) and strike a seaworthy pose in front of our specially painted backdrop!
- Badge-making for all ages
- Message in a Bottle – write your news headline for the day and post it in the bottle to be preserved for posterity
- Comfy Corner: relax and watch a slide show of images from our collections, share your recollections with us!
- Browse a selection of Ceredigion Archives books and greetings cards for sale at modest prices
- Actual live archivists to talk to!
- Lots of other talks and activities – see timetable below, follow the links to find out more and to book your tickets!
Monday 19 November
Doors open at 2 pm
15.00 – 15.30 Keep still and don’t blink! Old photographs in the Archives: talk by Ania Skarżyńska, Senior Archivist
16.00 – 18.00 Launch event
Tuesday 20 November
10.30 – 11.00 am A Life on the Ocean Wave – Captain Roberts and the Oronsay: talk by Helen Palmer, County Archivist
15.00 – 15.30 Queen’s Hotel, Aberystwyth: talk by Helen Palmer, County Archivist
Wednesday 21 November
12.00 – 12.30 ‘Born at Sea’: Concealing Criminal Identity in Nineteenth-Century Wales: talk by Richard Ireland, legal historian
15.00 – 16.00 Witchcraft and Magic in Cardiganshire: talk by Helen Palmer, County Archivist
Thursday 22 November
10.00 – 13.00 Lino print workshop with Jenny Fell (adults) THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL
15.00 – 15.30 Old maps in Ceredigion Archives: talk by Ania Skarżyńska, Senior Archivist
19.00 – 21.00 An Evening of Sea Shanties (and more!) with The Hittites. Limited capacity – book now!
Friday 23 November
10.30 Guided walk along Aberystwyth Prom with John Weston – if wet this will be a talk in the bandstand.
15.00 – 15.30 We Have a Plan: discovering Aberystwyth building plans in Ceredigion Archives: talk by Ania Skarżyńska, Senior Archivist
Saturday 24 November
11.00 – 14.00 Lino print workshop with Jenny Fell (children 8-12). Only 10 places available – book now!
15.00 – 17.00 Make-a-Maritime-Mobile workshop for children aged 5-12 with Alison Hincks. Only 15 places available – book now!
Please note that there are limited places for some of the events; follow the links to book a ticket.